I wanted to try my hand at katazome, I made some stencils using plastic stencil paper. It took two tries to get the rice paste right, and then it took a bit of time to get the hang of applying the paste, leading to some rather messy sections. My attempts at shibori on the sleeves didn’t work out very well, but the end result is a unique blue shirt based on designs I drew and cut myself (one stencil was based on an antique cloth I saw at http://dailyjapanesetextile.wordpress.com).
I have a summer weight indigo cardigan, and I decided to dye a winter weight one. I’m pleased with the color, and now seemed an appropriate time to replace the buttons with squid buttons I had bought last year. I guess it can be a kraken cardigan now.
Most chambray shirts are a bit bland in terms of color, they mix white and one color threads, usually blue. I want to see more variety, like red and black, or blue and green. Without weaving my own fabric, my options are limited to taking white and black chambray and dyeing it. I dyed two red, and then overdyed one in indigo. This produced a red and black chambray, and a purple and black chambray. I like both colors quite a bit.
This henley started white, I dyed it yellow with turmeric, and then dyed it indigo, hoping for a green color. It didn’t come out green, but the blue has a bit of a green tint, it reminds me of some of the Maine ocean. Maybe that us better than a standard green.
Growing indigo didn’t work out well this year, so I bought some indigo dye. My next few posts will be for these projects.
Continuing my education. There is good info on knitwear repair, although I disagree with the author regarding invisible repairs. I prefer visible ones.
I found this vintage Pendleton shirt in a thrift store in Georgia. It’s a boy’s size XL, which fit me better than a men’s size S shirt. The only drawback was the sleeves were a little too short. I lengthened them with some micro houndstooth wool fabric. Now it can make a good over shirt for autumn.
Properly size both feet. So far, everyone I have sized has a discrepancy between the right and left feet. Usually it is half a size or moving up one width. Get shoes based on the bigger size.
Also get sized again every few years. Even as adults, our feet can get longer and wider. The first pair of shoes I made no longer fits me, as my feet have gotten a little wider.
First my indigo dye was too weak. Now my first attempt at making rice resist paste hasn’t worked out. I don’t seem to be having much luck with dyeing this summer.
I’ll need to get some more supplies, then make another attempt, perhaps next weekend.
I grew some Japanese indigo this year with the plan of making dye. Many of the seedlings didn’t survive transplantation, and the ones that survived suffered from weather that dried them out too much. I tried making dye today, but the results were underwhelming. I managed to give a pale tint to a white handkerchief. I think I needed a lot more leaves to make a good dye.
I can always try again next year, and I can also buy dye.